Keto Friendly Ice Cream Brands
You might’ve lost all hope that keto friendly ice cream exists but you’d be wrong to do so because there are indeed two big brands that actually make low carb ice cream which is tasty and diet friendly. Those are Halo Top and Enlightened. These two brands have mainly low to moderate carb ice creams and some of their flavors can be keto-friendly.
Since they also focus on the low fat ice cream as well, it might be needed of you to eat more of it in order to get satiated. This also implies that they have some added sugar but the quantity is much, much lower than normal ice cream.
The best part about these keto friendly ice cream brands is that they are available to order online as well as in stores such as Sprouts and Whole Foods Market. If by chance you live somewhere that any of these two stores aren’t available you can always go online and get the ice cream shipped to you.
The question remains
Does these products fall under the keto friendly ice cream category?
The recommended standard for keto is 20g net carbs daily so if you’re willing to go a bit higher than that these ice cream choices can easily be incorporated into your keto diet. Not just as a “cheat” meal once in a while but as an actual way to satisfy your carb cravings for snacks and sweet which contain much more carbs then these low carb ice creams.
You can freely ignore the keto police that tries to convince you otherwise. If your carb range for the day allows you to have some of this ice cream then go for it.
As for the fact that these ice creams are also low fat, you’ll just have to get your fat from other foods.
Enlightened vs. Halo Top Ice Cream
- Although there are a bunch of different brands of keto friendly ice creams these two are still the best ones
- They both use the same compounds to make the ice cream just in different amounts
- The primary difference among them is their flavor and texture
- Erythritol is the sweetener they both use which is naturally produced sugar alcohol
- In our opinion Halo top has a bit sweeter taste
- The texture of Enlightened is a but creamier
We have ranked Enlightened higher then Halo Top because of the amount of flavors available with low carb tally. The lowest net carb flavor that Halo Top is offering is the Birthday Cake flavor which comes at 5g net carbs and Enlightened has a total of 12 different flavors that are either 5g net carbs or lower which means there’s a higher chance of you finding a flavor you’ll like with Enlightened.
Our choice of flavors from Enlightened are:
- Strawberry Cheesecake that has 5g net carbs per half a cup
- Scnickerdoodle that has 4g net carbs per half a cup
- Butter Pecan that has 4g net carbs per half a cup
The bestselling ice cream pint in the US is indeed Halo Top and not just for low carb ice creams but among all major ice cream pints selling volume. Halo Top is quite enjoyable and the best flavor for us is the Birthday Cake one which come at 5g net carbs per half a cup.
Have Look :- Keto Diet Condiment – Keto Friendly Bacon Jam
Have Look :- Keto Diet Foods – Portobello Personal Keto Pizza
High Fat, Low Carb Ice Creams
Since this niche is quite untapped a few brands appeared recently that tried to satisfy the needs and there are new keto friendly ice cream brands coming out every week which is very exciting for keto dieters.
However availability is quite limited because they are still small companies so we’re going to list the ones that can be purchased online followed by those only purchasable locally.
We will also provide an explanation why these are more keto-friendly then Halo Top and Enlightened.
Killer Whey Keto Ice Cream
- Contains 15g fat 10g of which are saturated contrasted to about 2g fat for Halo Top and Enlightened
- Having more fat in it is great for keto
- Because it has more fat it is better for the ice cream surface and when the cream is fattier you save up on carbs due to the lower usage of the gums added for texture
- Contains about 3g protein contrasted to 6g in the other two brands
- Similar to carbs, protein can lower your chances of getting into ketosis
- This brand has an ice cream which is high on protein so when you purchase one, be sure it’s the low carb ice cream
- No glycemic impact sweeteners. The sweeteners used are chicory root fiber and erythritol
- Contains MCT oil that has the most advantages for keto diet
- Contains 2g net carbs per half a cup contrasted to 3g net carbs for Enlightened and 5g net carbs for Halo Top
This ice cream has a variety of 6 flavors in total. The one we recommend is the Caramels Back which tastes similar to the Salted Caramel flavor.
- Caramels Back (3g net carbs per half a cup)
- Coco You Know (2g net carbs per half a cup)
- No Judge Mint (3g net carbs per half a cup)
- Chilla in Vanilla (2g net carbs per half a cup)
- PB & Whey (2g net carbs per half a cup)
- Jam Session (2g net carbs per half a cup)
You can order them online here.
But there are actually higher-fat low carb ice cream brands out there and the one we recommend is:
Rebel Creamery Ice Cream
One of the signs that an item is keto friendly is when it has the total amount of net carbs on the front of the label and the most awesome part is that the net carb count isn’t per serving but per whole pint. The lowest net carb they offer is 5g net carbs per pint or 1.25 net carbs per serving.
The other great thing about this product is that their nutritional numbers aren’t rounded up like most brands do. They actually give you the exact amount of net carbs per pint. The team of Rebel Creamery really knows what they’re doing because they do research on every single compound they put in their product and how they influence the flavor, surface and your own body.
- Chicory Root Fiber, Monk Fruit Extract and Erythritol sweeteners
- Low protein (2g)
This ice cream is available in grocery stores in a few states right now. You can always find one using their Store Locator but they also sell online for bulk orders.
Considering the flavors you won’t be unpleasantly surprised with any of them so we’d recommend to order their variety pack and decide which one will be your favorite even though all are quite delicious.
The flavors they offer are:
- Chocolate (5.6g net carbs per pint)
- Vanilla (5,2 net carbs per pint)
- Cookie Dough (7.2g net carbs per pint)
- Strawberry (7.2g net carbs per pint)
- Coffee Chip (7.2g net carbs per pint)
- Butter Pecan (6.4g net carbs per pint)
- Peanut Butter Fudge (7.6g net carbs per pint)
- Mint Chip (5.6g net carbs per pint)
They have recently went online and they are shipping all over the US. Their specification are as follows:
- Churn style ice cream created by partnering up with a local creamery
- Enhanced using Stevia, Erythritol, chicory root fiber and Monk Fruit Extract
- 3g net carbs per serving
- Similar texture as real ice cream gained by adding a dash of whole milk
The flavors they offer are Peanut butter cup, Mint Chip, Chocolate, Sea Salt Caramel and Coffee
Sola Low Carb Ice Cream
This brand creates a lot of low carb items, such as their sweetener blend which they also utilize to make their keto friendly ice cream.
Let’s check out the specifications:
- Around 11g fat
- Great texture because of Milk and Cream
- Utilizes stabilizers
- Sweeteners used: maltitol, tagatose, stevia, monk fruit extract
- Tagatose does not have a glycemic index even though it’s similar to sugar
- Maltitol has a glycemic index twice lower then sugar so that raises the blood sugar levels a bit
The flavors they offer are: Strawberry vanilla (3g net carbs), Min Chocolate Chip (3g net carbs), Chocolate Fudge Brownie (3g net carbs), Butter Pecan & Salted Caramel (3g net carbs), Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (4g net carbs), Chocolate Peanut Butter (4g net carbs), French Vanilla Beans (4g net carbs)
The only way you can get one of these are in stores so you can use their Store Locator to find one near you.
A local brand out of Austin, TX which can be found in Whole Foods Market in Southwest US and online.
They offer two flavors:
- Vanilla Bean
– 1g net carb per half a cup
– Very high in fat 19g saturated and total of 32g which comes from grass-fed butter and heavy whipping cream
– Much richer flavor than other low carb ice creams with a custardy taste
– Birch tree xylitol used as sweetener with a glycemic index of 12
– 3g net carbs per half a cup
– 18g saturated fat, 34g total
– Not too sweet because they use cacao which gives it a strong taste